Tuesday, July 29, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!


Shake, rattle & roll in Southern California. We experienced a 5.8 magnitude at 11:42am today. EARTHQUAKE WAS REVISED DOWN TO A 5.4. Preliminary information from the U.S. Geological Survey estimated the quake at magnitude 5.8, centered 29 miles east-southeast of downtown Los Angeles near Chino Hills in San Bernardino County. Ten aftershocks occurred in the next dozen minutes, including three estimated at 3.8.

Brandon & I are working in Moreno Valley which is about 29 miles east of Chino Hills where the earthquake was centered. We felt it quite strong here. There were 2 distinct shakes which lasted about 15 seconds. My computer monitor shook for about 30 seconds after the quake was over. It was one of the strongest quakes I have experienced. But no damage & nothing fell off the wall.

Andrea called me from work in San Diego & said they felt it. Brandon spoke to Grandpa (Dad) in El Cajon & he felt it too. I haven't talked to anyone else in the family to see if they felt it.

As scary as it was, I would much rather live with earthquakes than with tornados or hurricanes. As least with earthquakes, you don't know it's coming & they are usually over fairly quickly so you don't have a lot of time to panic until it is over. But then again, I didn't experience the Northridge earthquake. I bet that Emily has different thoughts on earthquakes after experiencing that one.

Well I hope that the rest of the day is less shakey than the first part of the day.

Kim

No comments: