Friday, September 18, 2009

Summer Vacation Flashback 2001-Day 14 New Mexico

For Friday Family Flashback I thought I would continue with the past vacations theme. I thought I would continue with our vacation from 2001. Today I will feature day 14, which is New Mexico.

I also want to remind you that back in 2001 while on vacation we had a website where we posted what are plans were for the day & then at the end of the day, we posted what we actually did. It was like we were blogging without knowing what blogging was. So this entry is a copy from our website back then.

Objectives: We'll be in Albuquerque, New Mexico all day and see what there is to do in the area. We also may drive up to Santa Fe, and see some of the historic sites up there.

Our Experience: Mike, Brandon, Jesse & Kim drove up to Santa Fe, New Mexico & took a tour of the city. We learned all about the history of Santa Fe & saw some old churches, art galleries & residential areas. It was very informative. Made it easier to walk around afterwards to see what we really wanted to see. We went to this old chapel called Loretto Chapel which has a miraculous staircase. Back in the 1800's the chapel was built with a choir loft with no way to reach it. The sisters wanted a spiral staircase built as there wasn't room for regular stairs. All the builders & architects said it couldn't be done. So the sisters prayed. Along came a man who said he could build their spiral staircase which he did. Took 7 months & had no center support, nor braced to wall. No nails were used, only wooden pegs. When the sisters tried to pay the man, he wouldn't take any money & mysteriously disappeared. When the sisters went to the only lumber yard around to pay for the wood, they were told the wood didn't come from them. The sisters said this was a miracle.

On the way back to Albuquerque we stopped at Sandia Peak to ride the Sandia Peak Tram to the top of the mountain. This tram is the longest tram ride in the world. We went from about 6000 feet up to almost 11,000 feet. Kim kind of got altitude sickness. It was very beautiful up on top of the mountain. Brandon & Jesse thought this was the best.

We didn't do anything in Albuquerque. Guess we may have to come back someday. It's kind of sad that our vacation is winding down. We only have 1 more fun day & then it's back to reality. We wish we could afford to be on vacation & travel all the time.

Photos:

St. Francis cathedral in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Some buffalo sculpture.

The New Mexico state capital building.

The miraculous staircase at Loretto Chapel.

Inside of Loretto Chapel.

Jesse, Kim, and Brandon standing outside of Loretto Chapel.

Looking west towards Albuquerque from Sandia Peak.

Looking to the top of Sandia Peak.

Jesse, Brandon, Kim, and Mike on top of Sandia Peak.

The Sandia tram ride.

Looking to the east down the ski slopes from Sandia Peak.

Coming down the mountain on the tram.
While I was writing this post I kept getting dejavu. It wasn't until after I finished writing this that I realized that I had put this post together already as a draft back in August. I just never posted it. Smack me in the head. I could have saved about an hour if I had only looked in advance. Oh well, you live and learn (or in my case, not).

Next Friday I will finish up with our family vacation from 2001. And I know I never finished up telling you about our Arizona vacation from this year. I'm a slacker, what can I say. So maybe I'll finish that vacation up as well this next week.

I've kind of been living a pretty boring life, so I have nothing else to blog about on the family blog. Plus I forgot to take any photos on Labor Day when Eric's family came over to swim & BBQ.

If you are interested in my decorating blog, Starshine Chic (shameless plug), you can click here to visit it to see what I've been up to around my house (decorating wise). I did post today about some family heirlooms other there.

And if anyone else in the family wants to post old family photos, or about anything from the past, please make a post on Friday's for Friday Family Flashback.

Have a good weekend everyone. It's going to be hot at our house. Anyone want to come swimming?

Kim

No comments: