Monday, November 15, 2010

Our Day Out with Thomas the Train & a Pre Thanksgiving Feast

On Saturday Mike & I, along with our grandson Gunner and his parents Brandan (Mike's son) & Crystal (daughter in law), went to "A Day Out with Thomas" at the Orange Empire Railway in Perris, CA.

And if there are any of you who don't know who Thomas is, you must not have little kids in your life. Thomas is Thomas the Train, silly.



Our Grandson Gunner is obsessed with Thomas. I mean OBSESSED!!!!

So when I saw that the local railway museum was having a Day out with Thomas. I knew Gunner would want to go. This was our birthday present to him this year.

Finally the day arrived. We could hardly wait for Brandan, Crystal & Gunner to arrive at our house. They were suppose to arrive about 11 am.

The morning didn't start off like we had hoped. Mike woke up about 7am with extreme pain in his back on the left side that radiated around to his side & to his abdomen. He was in so much pain that it was causing him to vomit. The pain came on suddenly & intense.

I told him that I would take him to urgent care at 11am when it opened. But that would mean we would miss going to see Thomas with Gunner.

But by the time Gunner & his parents arrived, the pain Mike had been experiencing all morning, disappeared as fast as it came on.

And not a moment too soon.

So we were able to go & see Thomas afterall.

We had to wait in line for almost an hour to buy tickets. I could have purchased them online (which was my original plan), but the online fees added up to almost $20.00. So to save $20.00 we stood in line for an hour.

But it was OK. Thomas the Train went by a few times while we were waiting. So Gunner got so excited to see Thomas. Problem was, he kept wanting to run after Thomas. But his little legs just couldn't keep up with a train.

Once we got inside, we went to the petting zoo. Our tickets to ride Thomas the train wasn't until 2:30pm. So we had some time to kill.

I have a hard time getting photos of Gunner as the kid never keeps still for very long. I finally got this one of him and the piggy.

Next we went into where the model trains are. And what was Gunner's favorite train? Why Thomas, of course.

The Orange Empire Railway Museum has lots of cool stuff to see.

I loved this locomotive. It was fabulous. Especially the big lantern.

Mike enjoyed the area with all the old train signals. Most had buttons you can push to see how they work.

All Gunner wanted was a Thomas the Train balloon. So his mom got him one.

Except, we should have gotten it on the way out. Do you know how annoying it is to deal with a huge helium balloon all day?

Finally it was time to ride Thomas. Gunner can hardly wait. He kept looking down the tracks to see if Thomas was coming to the station.

Finally Thomas arrived. Gunner waved "Hi" to Thomas.

Here is everyone inside the train. Gunner sat with Grandpa Mike. Crystal & Brandan sat behind. And I sat on the row in front. Me and the huge balloon.

Finally I got Gunner to look at the camera. If only for a split second. He kept saying "All aboard" to everyone that was getting on the train.

Here is proof I was there. And you can kind of see the huge balloon next to me.

Here is Gunner saying "all aboard". I wish I could have gotten him to say it when I was doing a video. But no, this kid only does things when he wants to. Not when you want him to.

After riding Thomas for about 15 minutes, it was time to return to the station. By now, we were all tired so it was time to go home. Plus it was time to take the turkey out of the oven for our pre Thanksgiving dinner.

Once outside, Gunner had to see Thomas one more time.

"Is Thomas ever going to come?" Finally he did. So Gunner was happy to see Thomas one last time before we left.

We got home about 5 minutes before the turkey was done. How is that for great timing? All we had to do know was to put everything else in the oven that we had prepared & peel and cook the potatoes.

Finally it was time to eat.

Mike had decided ahead of time that since Brandan's family was coming up and we already had a turkey and the fixings, that we would have Thanksgiving dinner a few weeks early. We rarely get to have Thanksgiving with Brandan's family. So this was an extra special treat.

I had set the table prior to going to a Day Out with Thomas. I used an old lace curtain for the tablecloth. The black & white dishes are a Christmas gift from Mike a couple of years ago. I usually use my turkey plates for Thanksgiving dinner, but this year I chose to use these plates instead.

So now you will know the real reason I used these plates. Bigger plate = more food. Yum!!!

Mike always cooks the most perfect turkey. The trick is buying a Butterball turkey and cooking it in a bag.
Gunner was too busy playing with Uncle Jesse's Nerf shotgun. And Grandpa gave him a new fishing game.

Here is everyone enjoying dinner. From left to right is: Mike, Brandon (mine), Crystal (my DIL), Brandan (Mike's), Brin (Jesse's girlfriend) and Jesse. Obviously I am taking the photo & you already saw what Gunner was busy doing instead of eating.

And to get all of you all in the mood for Thanksgiving. Doesn't that look yummy? We had turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, corn, yams and mini croissants. My turkey is covering up my stuffing & corn.

I normally make a green jello Thanksgiving salad. But I didn't for this meal. But I did miss it.

All in all, it was a fun filled day. And Mike's mysterious pain never came back. I'm just glad it went away when it did so that we could enjoy the day with our grandson Gunner.

But when it was all over, I was bushed. I felt every year of my age by the end of the day. I even fell asleep before 9pm. And I normally don't go to be till after midnight.

But I am so thankful for the chance to spend the day with my family.

Now on to the real Thanksgiving in a little over a week. Where I will get to spend the day with my extended family. We are celebrating this year at Eric & Jeannette's house. Looking forward to eating more turkey. And seeing the family.

What did you do this weekend?



P.S. Here are some videos I took of our Day out with Thomas

No comments: