Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Trapped

I work in the city of Moreno Valley. It is on the border of Riverside. For the past 6 months the city has been replacing the water pipes down the street I work on. They have now reached our office.
This morning Brandon & I got to work & they had started digging up the street in front of our office. We had to drive over a small pile of dirt to get into our work driveway. I felt like I was off roading. It was exhilarating (lol). Within the next hour, that small pile of dirt had grown to about 4 feet high. It completely blocked our driveway & our path to the outside world. We were trapped!!!!
I became claustrophobic. I couldn't breath. Panic started to set it. I'm not going to be able to go out to lunch!!!! Just kidding! But I was a little tweaked that I would have to stay in the office all day. I like the option of being able to go out to lunch or not. But alas, not today, I did have to stay in & eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Don't you feel sorry for me?


Brandon liked the piled dirt. He said it felt comforting. Like he was in a fortress. No one could get to us. I thought about it a moment & you know what? He was right. No one would be able to come into the office to bug us. No one could check on us. We could do what ever we wanted. We could go wild!!!! But we didn't. We were good & did what we always do. But it was nice for a moment to think that we could get away with being wild.

By the end of the day I was getting a bit concerned that they wouldn't get the pipes in & the driveway cleared before we had to leave. We are talking about city workers here. They quit work at exactly 4:30, not one minute later. So when they weren't done by 4pm, my anxiety level ratcheted up a few notches.


But a miracle took place the city workers finished installing the pipes & filled up the trench and they even cleared the entire driveway of the dirt pile. We were free!!!!!

1 comment:

Prescott family said...

That's funny!! Good perspective.