Thursday, June 19, 2008

Snake!!!

Last night around 7pm, Mike went out front to take something to the trash & a snake was crossing over our front walkway. Mike yelled for us to come quick. I was expecting to see a lizard. Boy was I surprised to see a snake instead.

It was huge. About 4 feet long. I ran to get my camera, but by the time I returned to take a photo, the snake had gone behind the bushes. I tried to take a photo, but the snake was too fast & I couldn't get a good shot.

From my recollection, the snake looked the snake pictured (I did not take this photo). From researching, my guess it was a California King snake. I was happy to hear that they are not venomous.

All I can say is that I hope that he kept on moving & didn't stop anywhere else in our yard (I'm assuming it was a he). I was a bit paranoid last night. I kept expecting to see it in my house.

Thinking about snakes reminds me of when we were kids & my dad would bring home the rattle from a rattlesnake he had killed while working in the back country. We thought it was so cool!!! Now it is against the law.

I haven't seen a snake for about 20 years (the zoo or someones pet doesn't count). How about you? When did you last see a snake in the wild or in your front yard? Put your response in comments. I would love to hear about your snake encounters.

Kim

No comments: