Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day-Sunday Favorites


I want to wish all of you a Happy Mother's Day. Here is some info about mothers & Mother's Day. I thought this was an appropriate post for Sunday Favorites hosted by Chari at Happy to Design. And what is Sunday Favorites? It is the day we are suppose to repost one of our prior posts that we felt was worth sharing again. Be sure to visit Chari and see her bathroom makeover & see all the others who are participating this week. I originally posted this last year on Mother's Day.



"A Mother carries the child in her womb for nine months and in her heart for the rest of her life".
These few words sum up the meaning and significance of the word Mother. Mother is undoubtedly the most beautiful and lovable word in any language. This goes to show the importance of mother in our lives.

Mother stands for millions of things she gives to her children; it also stands for sacrifices, pain, grief and sorrows which she has to undergo to keep her children happy and secure. No joy can match the joy of a mother looking at her child, those craving eyes-deeper than a whole ocean.


The most important woman in an individuals life is her/his mother. Her presence affects us our entire life and she can't be replaced by anyone.

Celebrated every year, Mother's Day is an occasion when individuals express their love and respect that they have for their mother. It's time to pamper her for all she has done for us over the years. On Mother's Day you can tell your Mom that she will always be important to you all and that you will continue to love her forever.

While many countries of the world celebrate their own Mother's Day at different times throughout the year, there are some countries such as Denmark, Finland, Italy, Turkey, Australia, and Belgium which also celebrate Mother's Day on the second Sunday of May.

Just wanted to wish Happy Mother's Day to my mom and all the rest of you moms. I love my mom more than anything & I am lucky to have her as my mom. I'm sure the rest of you feel that way about your mom too.

And I feel so blessed that I am also a mom. There is nothing better in the world than to be a mom (being a dad probably is close, but I wouldn't know).


Trivia about Mothers...

There are 84 million mom's in the U.S.

The youngest mother on record was Lina Medina, who delivered a 6½-pound boy by cesarean section in Lima, Peru in 1939, at the age of 5 years and 7 months.

The odds of a woman delivering twins is 1-in-33. Her odds of having triplets is approximately 1-in-539.

August is the most popular month in which to have a baby.

Kentucky has the highest percentage of women who are mothers at 67%. The national average is 57%.

About 4 million women will have babies this year.

The median age of a woman giving birth for the first time in the U.S. is 24.8.

Daughters keep in closer contact with their mothers than do sons. (Pew Research)

There are more phone calls made on Mother's Day than on any other day of the year. (Pew Research)

The number of people calling their moms on Mother's Day has declined in recent years due to e-mail and other electronic means of communication.

While nearly 80 percent of Americans will buy a card for mom this year, 83 percent of the cards will be purchased by daughters. (American Greetings)

Mother's Day is the third-largest card-sending holiday.

Mother's Day is the busiest day of the year for restaurants.

I hope that all of you have a great Mother's Day!!

Love,
Kim

Update 5/11/09: This is my Mom and I love her very much. I was lucky enough to spend yesterday with her and most of my family. I feel very lucky to have my mom in my life. A few years back we thought my mom was suffering from Alzheimer's, but instead found out that she had a brain tumor. Now most people would think that a brain tumor would be worse, but not in my Mom's case. The brain tumor ended up being a blessing as it was removable and it was not cancerous. And that meant she didn't have Alzheimers. So once the brain tumor was removed, it was like we got our mom back. It has been a rough few years for my mom. She still has a hard time remembering certain things and remembering what things are called. But that just endears her to us more. But at least she is again her happy self and my Mom.

For Mother's Day this year I felt that it was important for everyone in my family to write down the 10 things they love most about our Mom. I even had the grandkids write down their list. I printed out everyone's list & rolled each one up & tied them with ribbon. I put the rolls in a pretty glass jar tied up with a ribbon. Added a "M" for mom ornament. We gave it to her yesterday while we were all together. I read aloud what everyone had written. My Mom loved it. She cried (like we had any doubt). She said it was the best present she has ever received. I told her it was a jar full of love. That way whenever she is feeling down or missing one of us, or just feels like connecting with us, she can reach into her jar, pull out a list & read the words of love each of us has written down and know how much each of us loves her. She said it was the best Mother's Day gift ever.


5 comments:

Marie Reed said...

Great info filled post!

Prescott family said...

Gosh Kim your post about mom made me cry!! I wish we had been there when you read the things we all wrote. I'm glad she liked it! Good job!! It was great being with all of you yesterday... I miss that!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a wonderful idea about the Mother's Day gift, and how fabulous that she will have those little gifts to keep reading! This was a lovely post. Happy Mother's Day to you and your mom! laurie

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Dearheart...

Ohh Kin...this was such a beautiful post and tribute to all mothers!!! How befitting for you to share once again for Sunday Favorites...your post from Mother's Day of last year!!! It is so very sweet!!! I'm so glad that you're having a wonderful Mother's Day and that you got to spend the day with your mother!!! I loved seeing a photo of your mom...she's a beautiful lady!!! And Girl, if that just wasn't the sweetest idea...to have everyone write 10 things that they loved most about your mom...and then to give that to her!!! Well, of course she cried...it really would be the sweetest gift of all!!! I'm so glad that your mom's health is good now! That must have been terrifying to learn that she had a brain tumor...but as you said, the Lord works mysteriously so many times...and if she hadn't had the memory problems, you may have not found out about the tumor! Thank God that all is well!!!

Well my friend, thank you so much for all of your sweet compliments on my bed and bath redo...and I'm so glad that you joined in with the fun of Sunday Favorites again this week!!! This was such a sweet post to share...

Happy Mother's Day Sweetie!
Love ya,
Chari

Pat@Back PorchMusings said...

What an amazing story about your mom, Kim. Thank you for sharing it!!