Monday, January 26, 2009

Met Monday & Monday Show and Tell-a 2fer

Welcome to the second week of Metamorphosis Monday hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. Be sure to click on her blog name & it will take you to her blog where you can see a list of all the other people participating.

Also, my family does a weekly Monday Show and Tell. Unfortunately, I am the only one in my family who usually does the show and tell,, but that is OK. I have no problem with it being the "Kim show" in my family. They all love me even if I am the spotlight hog.

This week I wanted to show you the 2 small windows in our master bedroom. When we purchased the house 3 years ago, the windows were covered with a plastic covering made to look like stained glass. See the photo below. I didn't get a very good photo, but you get the idea. It didn't really look like stained glass at all. Looked like the cheap vinyl paper it really was.

We have quite a few odd sized windows in our house & all of them had been covered this tacky paper. The first thing I did (I mean hubby did) when we moved in, was to rip out all the ugly paper.

For about 2 years we had nothing covering the windows. This was OK for awhile as you really couldn't see in from the outside as our house is up a small incline from the sidewalk. But I never felt quite at ease with the windows being bare. The biggest problem with bare windows was the light that came in at night. Every time a car drove by our house, the lights shown in our bedroom. I got used to it, but my husband promised me he would make some real stained glass windows.

So for Christmas 2007 my hubby finally made my windows. I had decided I didn't want any colored glass in the windows as I couldn't decide on colors & I can change my mind quite a bit, so I decided to go with clear glass & bevels.

Since I love anything French I told my hubby that I wanted a "Fleur de lis" design. He made the 2 windows exactly the same. He framed them & painted the frames black. He attached them to the inside of the windows.
The windows are made of glass bevels, water glass (the wavy glass) & glue chip glass. I'm so lucky that I have such a talented hubby. I haven't found anything that he doesn't know how to do. I'm a lucky gal. Don't you think he did a great job? Except he splattered a little of the black paint on the wall & didn't clean it up before it dried. Oh well, no one is perfect.
The windows look great on each side of the bed. They let in lots of light during the day, but we get our privacy. The added bonus is that it keeps out the noise from the street outside.
There you have my "before & after" for this week. Sometime in the future I will try & post something that I have done. But most of the things around our house were done by my wonderful hubby. I think I will keep him around for awhile more. I've got much more "hunny do's" for him. Tee hee!!!

Thanks for stopping by & don't forget to leave a comment. I love to hear your thoughts. My hubby thinks blogging is a bit weird, but he loves it when everyone comments on how good a job he does. I know I can convert him to blogging if we butter him up enough.

21 comments:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

What a difference that makes! I love the windows and your hubby did a great job. Cindy

Kat said...

They look beautiful. I like your choice of not using colored glass. And yes, your husband did a fantastic job. Kathy

Lisa (aka) French said...

Love the windows what a wonderful addition to the room;) French

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

What beautiful windows and a gorgeous room!
~Michelle

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, they are gorgeous. I really like the clear glass and the design is beautiful. Marty

Anonymous said...

My dh and I took a stained glass class. I was frustrated but my husband made some nice pieces. He didn't keep it up and we no longer have any of the skills or tools. But....I realize how exacting the work is to do these leaded glass windows.
Yours are lovely and a perfect solution.

Thanks for sharing,

Kathy b

Victoria said...

Not only do I love the windows but I love your whole bedroom! I would love to see more of it.

Unknown said...

What a talented husband you have! And thoughtful too. Those windows are beautiful.

xinex said...

The windows are truly beautiful, the whole bedroom is gorgeous!..Christine

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Love those little windows now! Your hubby turned an eyesore into a bonus...he did a WONDERFUL job!

Wendy said...

I LOVE those windows!!! Your husband did a fantastic job on them. I like that he used clear glass. I can't believe the difference they make in your room.

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Oh my that room is so beautiful! What a great job. The windows your husband created are fabulous!! This should be in a magazine...

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Your husband did a wonderful job on the windows! They are amazing and beautiful! ~Rhonda :)

Linda Q said...

Love this room and your hubby did a fabulous job on those windows! I want some, tee hee. Totally changed and improved the space.
Linda

The Bliss Journey said...

You have a very romantic bedroom. The windows are perfect. I love the black and white.
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Bring your hubster in and let him revel in the compliments ... the windows are truly stunning! I love the b&w color scheme in your room, and seem to be going into a "black phase" of my own, starting with my kitchen which is halfway through a re-do. Thanks so much for sharing.

Victoria

~CC Catherine said...

Kim, This is a totally cool revamp! My Beloved is just getting into stain glass and I'm going to show him this...and I adore your bed/sheers with the poster bed., black/white french theme going on! Totally "Francais et Chic"~ Au Revoir ~CC Catherine

Pam said...

Wow! Those windows are beautiful! Great job by your husband!

Steph said...

Those windows are fantastic! They bring so much light and elegance into your room.

Lorrie said...

What gorgeous windows. I love them. Your whole room looks wonderful.

Lorrie

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Kim...your windows are gorgeous! Your DH is amazing! I love how these turned out...truly beautiful! They were worth the wait, weren't they?! :-)
Susan