Monday, April 6, 2009

Met Monday - Ballard Knockoff


It's Monday again (how I hate Monday's) and time for Metamorphosis Monday hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. Click HERE to visit Susan's blog to see all the "before" and "afters" for this week.

My contribution this week is really something quite small. But it is still a metamorphosis. I had been wanting a new fruit basket. And one day I was at Ross & found this metal tiered basket that would be perfect for holding my fruit. Except for one thing. I hated the color. But that was OK, as we all know that a little spray paint can fix almost anything.


Here is the before photo of the tiered basket at Ross. Cost $9.99

And here is the after with a few coats of Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. Looks fabulous!!! I was very happy.

The same day that I painted my basket, I got my first Ballard Designs catalog in the mail. I had heard so many of you rave about all the neat decorating ideas you get from this catalog so I signed up to get one myself to see what all the fuss was about.

Well my new catalog arrived & I started thumbing through it when all of I sudden I came upon this:
Looks almost exactly like the tiered basket I just got from Ross & spray painted. Except for this one has 4 legs & mine only has 3. But the real difference was the price.

The Ballard tiered basket: $44.00
My knockoff version: $ 9.99 (I already had the spray paint)

Savings: $34.01

I did the "Happy Dance". Don't you just love when you can get a designer look for less? I know I do. So now I love my tiered fruit basket even more.
Thanks for visiting & be sure to visit all the other participants at Between Naps on the Porch.

Kim

14 comments:

Scribbler said...

Let's see that Happy Dance!

I am with you -- I love things like this so much more than something that cost a bundle.

Scribbler

Chandy said...

I love how that turned out! That's an awesome coincidence and "cha-ching" moment! Great job! Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! Oh, how wonderful! I love what you've done to your basket!
Wow! Yours looks every bit as good as the Ballard's one and to think you've saved your hubby money! Oh, we're good at that, aren't we?
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Don't you love it when that happens? Did they think the extra leg was worth $30 some bucks?

KBeau said...

You just have that designer touch. Now I want one, and at your knock off price.

Mary from Boogieboard Cottage said...

I love it when that happens! :O)

Unknown said...

Amazing what some paint can do. I first thought the Ballard's one was another pic of yours, that's how close they are.

Joyce said...

Ballards happens to be within walking distance to my daughters home. I push the baby stroller in and out once a week but since it is so pricy I rarely purchase any items. You were clever to paint this black. Now you can take the savings and buy another item or go out to lunch!
Joyce

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Wow...great going! Way to save and get the expensive designer look! The black is a great color for it!
Did you ever read my post on my topiaries from Ballard? Before you buy from them...read this: http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/search/label/Ballard%20Designs

Loved your comment...I was thinking the SAME exact thing when I started putting dishes on the shelves...I almost couldn't do it. LOL I called a contractor who has done a lot of work for me and asked him what he thought...he thinks the number of nails I used will hold. One good thing...if they start to go, the nails will come out slowly...not all at once. So I'm going to keep checking for a while just to make sure it's all holding. Thanks for the warning...you and I are thinking alike! :-) Susan

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh! I was already loving your tiered basket and then you showed the Ballard's version. Way to go!! I have two tiered baskets and really like them.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

it turned out great! Looks like the designer one now. Cindy

Dixie Girl said...

That's awesome. I love it when that happens.
Tina

jessiev said...

I'm dancing right with you! I love Ballard Designs..not their prices, though. You did it girl! Yipee for you!

janet said...

great piece, your makeover is awesome and looks just as good if not better than the designer one.
hugs
janet